Friday, January 6, 2012

Let My People Go

WARNING: Blatant Christian themes and thoughts and meditations, up ahead!

My friends Regan, Avlbane, and I have a habit of occasionally being badasses. By this, I mean we will sit in one of our cars, belting out Disney (or Dreamworks, as the case may be) songs at the top of our lungs and then proceeding to analyze them far beyond what the creators of such songs intended. It's what we do.

As we're doing so, I noticed something truly epic about this particular song. Have a listen.


If you don't hear the inherent the awesomeness of this song, get off this blog.

But as we're singing this at the top of our lungs, I noticed something incredibly chilling and epic about the lyrics. The lyrics of this song can parallel not only Moses and Ramses, but God and Lucifer. I think of it as a conversation between God, Michael the Archangel, and Lucifer. Let's have a look-see.

Thus saith the Lord, Since you refuse to free my people, All through the land of Egypt, I send the pestilence and plague into your house, into your bed, into your streams, into your streets, Into your drink, into your bread, upon your cattle, on your sheep, upon your oxen in your field, Into your dreams, into your sleep, Until you break, until you yield, I send the swarm, I send the horde, THUS SAITH THE LORD.

I'll let the awesomeness sink in. These plagues make me think of the upcoming battle between God and Satan--God using all the horrors and powers of earth He's created to destroy Satan's armies. Think of the full might of God. Tornadoes, volcanoes, locusts, blizzards, hurricanes, lightning storms, thunder storms, wildfires, lions, tigers, wolves, oceans, mountains, and deserts. All of these in tandem, determined to destroy the enemy.

Next lines!

Moses: Once I called you brother, once I thought the chance to make you laugh, was all I ever wanted.

God: I send the thunder from the sky I send the fire raining down!

Moses: And even now, I wish that God had chose another, serving as your foe on his behalf, was the last thing that I wanted.

Lucifer wasn't always Satan. He wasn't always the devil. Once upon a time, he was one of God's most glorious angels, the morning star. How hard it must've been for God to see his beloved turn from him and actively seek to destroy His creations. How sad Michael, the Archangel, must've been to fight against his brother.

God: I send a hail of burning ice on every field on every town.

Moses: This was my home, all this pain and devastation, how it tortures me inside. All the innocent who suffer, from your stubbornness and pride!

I don't think God necessarily likes sending His full wrath upon Satan. After all, Lucifer was beloved once too. But God isn't going to let this fallen, prideful, angel hurt His children.

God: I send the locusts on a wind such as the world has never seen, on every leaf on every stalk, until there's nothing left of green. I send my scourge, I send my sword, thus saith the Lord.

Moses: You who I called brother, why must you call down another blow? Let my people go!

God: I send my scourge, I send my sword!

Thus saith the Lord!

This is a battle that's been going on for millennia, in a place where there is no time. When the Prince of Lies took over our earth, God snarled. "Let my people go!" Or He will storm your camp, Satan. He will raid and take back all the prisoners of this war.

Now let's look at Satan's point of view.

Rameses: You who I called brother, how could you have come to hate me so? Is this what you wanted? Then let my heart be hardened! And never mind how high the cost may go! This will still be so! I will never let your people go!

Lucifer isn't some villain dancing on a table squealing, "I'm evil! I'm evil!" He legitimately thinks he's right. He doesn't understand why God is fighting him so hard. How could you have come to hate me so? Lucifer has always saw himself as better than humans, higher above them. Which causes his pride to become more intense and his stubbornness to be even harder. He doesn't care about the cost anymore. He is never going to release this world.

Lucky for us, God is never going to stop fighting for us either. Even better, He's already won. He won the day a carpenter's son was born in a stable. Because there is nothing, nothing, God wouldn't do to get us back. His love is that intense.

Phoenix out!

2 comments:

  1. Was poking around in your Return to the Labyrinth reviews and thought I'd see what else you've blogged on.

    The above is a very interesting take. The whole movei was epic (IMO). Of course I've always been a big d.c. Talk fan so that might be why.

    Keep blogging

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love that even after six months, my Return to the Labyrinth reviews are still the most popular. ^_^

    And thank you again! I love those movies and DC Talk rocks hard. Maybe I'll post my top ten favorite Christian rock songs. :D

    ReplyDelete