Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Gots Positoovity!

A lot of people love walking in the rain. A lot of people just love rain in general. The sound, the taste, the smell...there are songs and songs about girls who learn to dance in the rain or take long significant walks while it's raining.
I would like to say for the record, I am not one of those girls. I hate rain. Rain makes me sleepy. I don't like getting wet. I dislike the feeling of cold, wet feet squishing about in my sneakers. Or worse, possibly getting trench foot when I where flip flops. Now I won't deny I like watching rain--from inside. And preferably while I'm reading or watching a movie or drinking hot tea. Not when I'm trying to study.
I should've known it was going to pour today. My body sensed it and demanded to go back to bed so it can sleep through it. I argued with my body extensively, citing the importance of attending class and eventually it grudgingly agreed. But now that it is pouring cats and dogs my body is demanding its nap now, but unfortunately there simply isn't time.
But rather than turning this into a negative blog, I thought I'd shed some happy things.
First off, I love reading blogs. As much as I'm against literature going viral, I just can't seem to kick the habit of reading blogs. They inspire me. They make me want to kick a door down. With passion, not rage. Here are a couple of my favorite blogs:
I also like wandering around and finding new blogs, the more obscure, the better. But one I was reading got me thinking. This particular blogger, was possibly the most negative complainer I've ever met. She had whole lists of things that annoy her. It's her blog, and I guess she can use it as a venting tool if she wants, but it was kind of a downer to read.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a compulsive list-maker. I wish I was as organized a listmaker as my friend Regan, but I still am at heart, a list-maker. So I decided to make a positive list of things that make me happy, rather than things that annoy or piss me off. Why? Cuz I gots positoovity, that's why! No nasty rain is gonna get me down!
1. My friends
This may be pathetically cheesy, but I can't help it. I love my friends. They're pretty. They smell nice. They make me laugh and cry, sometimes in tandem. The best things in life do these things. I never leave my friends without smiling.
2. The smell of horses and hay. There's something extremely comforting and home-y about that smell. I could fall sleep immersed in it.
3. My mom.
A lot of girls love their mom but some have a darn time liking them. I'm one of the lucky ones that genuinely likes talking to her and spending time with her.
4. Weddings
I may not ever get married, I may be that feminist girl, but I still love weddings. There's something really special to me about two people who've agreed to spend their lives together and wish to celebrate that fact.
5. Audrey Hepburn movies and the movies Mummy 1&2. Audrey Hepburn's classiness shines through, no matter what the role. Definitely one of my heroes. As for the Mummy movies, they're just my favorite. They make me happy. I quote them verbatim. Sigh.
6. Soccer guys
I've never met an unattractive soccer player. And all that I've met have been gentlemen and generally sweethearts. I'm sure there are exceptions...but I haven't met any.
7. Milk
Milk is my comfort drink. Milk is to me what butter is to Ree Drummond. I do not understand people who don't like it. Lactose intolerance makes me depressed just imagining it. Milk goes into anything truly wonderful. It's what we first drink when we're babies. Mmm, milk.
8. Chocolate.
Hershey chocolate bars are my vice. I dream about chocolate cake smothered in chocolate frosting. Hot chocolate is one of the best things about winter.
9. Writing with another person. It's fun to fangirl over your own stories, it's even better to fangirl conjoinedly with another person.
10. Apple pie. My mom makes the best kind. Drool. The trick is to use Granny Smith and Red Delicious. I've had arguments with people about this. It makes the perfect balanced of sweet and tart.
11. Little kids and puppies. Cliche? Maybe. But I have a neighbor with both. Walking home and seeing them play together is heart-warming.
12. Coffeeshops. <3>
13. Vanilla caramel tea, peanutbutter sandwiches, and a C.S Lewis novel. These are staple for me at least once a month.
14. Christmas. :)

1 comment:

  1. You referenced my blog! Darling, I love how happy this post is. It's raining here too and this just made my day brighter.

    ReplyDelete