I don't like like slut-shaming, so my title is a clever twist on a clever twist of a phrase. I love all my ho-hos. :D And by ho-hos, I mean my friends. A lot of girls have one singular best friend who they tell everything to, who's practically their sister for all intents in purposes. I'm no exception. Except for having one best friend, I have five.
Eh, I can't help it. I'm just so awesome that people are naturally drawn to me.
In all seriousness, my friends are very important to me. So for this blogpost, I thought I'd extrapolate on each one, how I met them, and why I love them.
I'll start by going back. First there was Regan.
Isn't she pretty?
At least when she remembers to shave.
If you read Regan's blog, Run Fish Run, (which you really ought to) you'll know she's been counting down things she's been thankful for this month. Which is very clever and if I weren't so lazy, I would probably do the same thing. But one of her blog posts was about MOI and how she was thankful for me. Made me tear up a little. Sniffle. Anyway, in that post, she relates how she met me, and it's pretty accurate. She remembers it a lot better than I do, so I suggest you read her recollection on it as mine isn't as detailed. What I do remember about it:
1. Regan and I met in high school.
2. We met in Comm. I class. She sat behind me.
3. She had a picture of Orlando Bloom on her binder who at the time I was TOTALLY N LUV WITH, OMG.
4. I thought she was a junior, so when she followed me into the gym for the start of school pep rally, I was confused cuz she was sitting with the freshman. I can't really explain why I thought she was a junior--might have had something to do with her being like a foot taller than me (I hate being short) and seeming way more mature. Wasn't until later that I realized the maturity levels were about equal...
5. That year we became totally obsessed with the TV show Lost and were known throughout high school as, 'those weird girls who talk about Lost all the time.'
Regan and I have been through a lot together. We've fought, usually about stupid things. We've laughed at random crap which is only funny to us. We've cried about boys and heartbreak and our families. We've been on the same wavelength for years. Even being 200 miles apart, when we IM each other, occasionally we'll IM the same damn thing at the same damn time.
Here's some things I love about Regan:
1. She's way more organized than I am. When she says she's gonna get shit done, she will GET SHIT DONE.
2. Though we've bitched at each other about stupid things ("STOP BLINKING SO DAMN LOUDLY!" "I WILL WHEN YOU STOP BREATHING SO NOISILY!") she has never gotten annoyed at me for legitimate gripes, like how I borrow books and DVDs from her and then return them to her like four years later...
3. She's really really morbid in kind of a hilarious way. She's a crim major, what are you gonna do?
4. We transition at about the same time, when our interest in Lost waned we slowly moved on to Supernatural.
5. We both like Mexican food. A lot.
6. She's teaching me how to cook.
7. She helped me overcome my fear of cooking chicken.
8. I love how she's obsessed with incense.
9. She drives like a maniac but has yet to kill me.
10. When I got lost on the way to the mall when I first started driving, when she realized how embarrassed I was, she never made fun of me for it.
11. She makes fun of me for everything else.
That's my Regan!
Next friend, going in chronological order of when I met them, would be my first roommate, who I'll call Chester.
I'll be honest, when I first left for college, I wasn't that concerned with having a roommate. When I worked at a stables for a girl scout camp, I shared large room with about twenty other girls, so I was used to it. But let me tell you, I was extremely lucky when I got paired up with Chester. My first college matched us up perfectly. It was almost eerie. I went to a religious private high school in my hometown, she went to a religious private high school with the same name. We have very similar personalities. We kept our room marginally tid
y though slightly messy and shared our food whole-heartedly.
Here's a good picture that describes our relationship perfectly.
And another one.
Basically, what the pictures signify is how much Chester is my bitch.
LOL Just kidding. We had a lot of fun together our freshman year and I miss her desperately.
Here's eleven things I love about her.
1. She can recite the Mummy and the Mummy Returns along with me and doesn't mind watching it thirty times.
2. She was always up for something spontaneous, like walking to Walmart or Wendy's when I was bored.
3. We're going to open an epic publishing company together.
4. She is hugely forgiving, even when I am irrational and emotional. Or when I fight with her fiance. That takes a lot of grace, I think.
5. We insult each other constantly, but always out of love.
6. When I first met her, most of her wardrobe consisted of nothing but earth tones. So every time she wears a bright hue, I enjoy acting shocked and bewildered.
7. She got me into running, when I used to bitch and moan about it, now I sort of like it.
8. One word. Pretear. And all the innuendos that go with it.
9. She's an English major like me, which automatically makes her cool.
10. She has awesome music taste.
11. She lives an hour away from me (from my hometown) but it's always worth the drive to see her, plus it's a really fun drive cuz she lives in east bumfuck nowhere.
That's my Chester!!!
I can't remember if I met Britt (I can't think of a neat blog name for her so I'm going to be lazy and just call her Britt) or Fox first so I'll go in alphabetical order.
Like Chester, I met Britt my freshman year of my first college. She lived across the hall from me and moved in late, because I believe she joined a sorority and then changed her mind. What's lovely about Britt, is she transferred recently, so now she's just that much closer to me. She's actually coming to see me this weekend and let me tell you, I could not be more excited.
Here's us about to paint the town.
Britt is incredibly big-hearted. She's non-judgmental and is just plain fun to be around. Whenever I hang out with her, there will always be an excess of giggling, joking around, and generally being awesome.
Here's some things I love about her.
1. Whenever I see her, she does my makeup and I always look fantastic. (See above.) She is actually the one who taught me how to do my makeup properly. As she would say, it's all about blending!
2. I get the most random texts from her, which never fail to make me laugh.
3. She is completely open about who she is.
4. We have VERY different fashion tastes. She is very trendy and put-together and I am very eclectic. It's amusing to go shopping together because I'll hold
up something eagerly and she'll give me this look that says, 'I think it's weird, but I don't know how to tell her without hurting her feelings...'
5. She makes me feel confident about myself. When we're together, I hit on guys more, and am more secure. Her beauty is the kind of beauty that extends to everyone around her.
6. I usually feel like a loser when I get excited about something guy-related, but she always is excited for me.
7. She never judges and always tries her hardest to be understanding.
8. She is blunt but in a sincere and kind way. For instance, she once commented to Chester, "You know, you have a really big butt." She didn't mean it in a mean way. She was completely serious and genuine.
9. She once bought me underwear because she lost a bet.
10. She got me hooked on Victoria's Secret.
11. I like editing the papers she writes for class.
That's my Britt!
Then there's Fox...I honestly don't remember the exact moment I met Fox. I have no clear memories on the moment we became friends, but I think that's okay. It might've been in ballet class...I took ballet my first semester of college for fun (which in retrospect was a dumb decision, I have no talent at dancing whatsoever.) and she was in that class. She's an ice skater and a dancer and is an incredible friend.
Last year we attended a Kate Voegele concert which was possibly the highlight of my life, because Kate hugged me and signed Fox's capo.
Here's us outside her tourbus.
Here's us in the concert. I know I look high, so no commentary from the peanut gallery.
Here's some things I love about Fox.
1. She loves Kate Voegele as much as I do, and doesn't mind belting out her songs with me at random intervals.
2. She has red hair I'm really jealous of.
3. She doesn't mind cuddling with me or frolicking with me. (Fun fact, cuddling with guys wigs me out but I love cuddling with my friends.)
4. She drives a large white pickup truck which is pretty epic all things considered.
5. She partnered with me for our ballet final even though I sucked at dancing and she is amazing at it.
6. She and I have been on the same path romance wise, and have helped each other a lot I think.
7. She likes roller coasters as much as I do and actually got me hooked on sitting in the very front, which I'd never done before.
8. I started teaching her guitar my freshman year which was incredibly fun for both of us.
9. She bought me the Kate Voegele hat pictured which in turn earned my love forever and ever.
10. She helped me unearth my secret love of chick flicks.
11. When we're 28 we're going to the insemination center together and getting pregnant at the same time. Oh yeah. It's happening.
That's my Fox!!! Oh, how I love her. I miss her desperately too.
And finally, there is Avlbane, who I met last year when I transferred.
Avlbane was literally my first friend here. She was in my Japanese 101 class and we hit it off while studying for our hiragana quiz. She noticed the leatherbound edition of the Chronicles of Narnia and we both discovered a mutual love of C.S Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. And creative writing. The rest is history.
She also invited me to dress up for Halloween last year, which was sweet of her since I didn't know anyone. Which explains this photo...
She was the corpse bride. The woman is a freaking whiz with costumes and crafts, she legit made that costume. I am quite jealous of her skillz.
And finally, here's some things I love about Avlbane.
1. She doesn't mind me nattering on for an hour about my stories because she does the same thing. :D
2. We have very similar writing styles, so when we write collaborations together they flow really well.
3. She mother hen's me when I'm not taking care of myself.
4. She is an all around interesting person, and I never get tired of talking to her.
5. She taught me a lot without knowing it about being open-minded.
6. She is the J.R.R. Tolkien to my C.S Lewis.
7. She founded the Inklings with me.
8. When I've run out of money, she's fed me.
9. She let me come home with her for Easter because I couldn't afford to go home to my parents that year.
10. She is one of the classiest women I know.
11. She has weird terminology and vocabulary that she creates herself that have somehow flowed into my speech...
And there you have it! These are my nearest and dearest, who I love desperately and each hold a piece of my heart. In the words of Sex and the City (because all true wisdom comes from Sex and the City...), "Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just there to have fun with."